I don’t eat potatoes. It may seem like a travesty to some, but they always seem to mess with my stomach. I eat a lot of protein, though, and one day after my husband flavored chips with his own homemade baked potato seasoning, I immediately demanded the recipe so that I could throw it on the chicken legs I was planning on cooking the next day.
Needless to say, I was not disappointed. Feel free to leave out the cheese if you are lactose intolerant. I’ve tried it and I can promise that it’s just as good without it! But then again, is there anything better than a nice and juicy chicken leg?
-1 lb chicken legs (about 4-5 drumsticks)
-Olive oil (for drizzling)
-1 tbsp grated parm
-4 tsp salt
-2 tsp pepper (black or white)
-2 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp thyme
-3 tsp paprika
-2 tsp nutritional yeast (3 for cheesier!)
- Preheat an air fryer to 400 degrees or oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Grease lightly.
- Take room-temperature chicken and pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Depending how much seasoning you want to use, either toss the chicken and spices together in a bowl or zipped plastic bag. You can also sprinkle on the seasoning, or rub it into the chicken by hand, if you prefer.
- Place chicken down on greased tray and drizzle lightly with olive oil. I use chili-infused olive oil, but feel free to use any oil you want! This is the key to making it nice and crispy!
- If using an air fryer, cook it for 8-10 minutes. Then flip, drizzle the other side with oil, and continue cooking for another 8-10 minutes. If using a standard oven, cook it for 15-20 minutes, flip, drizzle with oil, and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes. The juices should run clear when you cut into it. If you have a meat thermometer, it should read 165 degrees.
- When done, remove and let the meat rest for at least 5 minutes to ensure juicy chicken!
Serve with your favorite hot sauce and enjoy! (Photo below shows 1 lb chicken legs without any cheese!)
Servings: 1 lb chicken
(The above plate, no cheese. I subtracted out the weight of the bones since I didn’t eat those!)
Carbs: 0.5 (from the spices)