Coming up with dinner ideas can be hard, especially if you’re busy. Fortunately, this dough is so versatile that you can use it with whatever ingredients you have on hand. If you don’t have an avocado, you can still make this recipe, just use my Nothing-But-Egg Sandwich Bread for the quesadilla ingredients and follow the cooking instructions outlined below.
The toppings for this recipe are totally optional as well. If you prefer, you could even bake this dough, sprinkle it with everything-but-the-bagel seasoning and cut it into crackers! It’s so versatile, I can’t think of a better way to use up half an avocado if you have one lying around!
-4 eggs, separated
-1/2 avocado, mashed or puréed
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp garlic powder
-2 oz cooked chicken
-1/4 cup shredded cheese
-Deli sliced jalapenos
-Bell pepper strips
-Remaining avocado slices
- Preheat the oven to 300 F. While it’s preheating, separate the egg whites and the yolks. Using a stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- While those are whipping, mix the egg yolks, mashed/puréed avocado, and seasonings together until they form a paste. When the egg whites are stiff, take 1/4 batter out of the mixing bowl and add it to your yolk paste to lighten it using a rubber spatula. Keep adding the egg whites, a quarter a time, until you have a lighter, runnier batter.
- When the two are combined, spread out your batter into a circle shape and bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 minutes. I recommend baking it on a sheet of parchment paper to make it easier to remove from the pan later. I bake mine on a cast iron pizza pan, but use what you have!
- When it’s done, let it rest for five minutes to cool and preheat the oven to 400 F. When it’s pliable, carefully lift it up and gently bend it in half to make sure it holds its shape. Then, lie it flat and place your toppings on one side. I like to use the toppings I listed above, but you could use anything you have on hand! Make sure you add the cheese last, if you’re using cheese, and then fold the crust back over the top.
- Note: If the crust breaks when you lift it and has a hole in it, dinner is NOT lost. Simply cover the hole(s) with shredded cheese and then bake it flat and turn it into a pizza! The cheese acts like a glue to help hold it together.
- Bake at 400 until the cheese is melted and the top is crispy, no more than 5-10 minutes. Slice and serve immediately.