You know I like eggs. I’ve said this time and time again. I also like pizza. Doesn’t everyone, right? Pizza is fantastic because you can do so many things with it. You can make a BBQ chicken pizza, a vegetarian pizza, a dessert pizza…the sky is basically the limit.
The one thing holding everyone back though? The crust.
I’m from New York. I was raised in New York all my life, so I know good pizza when I see it, and I know how important a good crust is to a good pizza. But sometimes there are times when you want pizza without a heavy crust, and that’s where I come in, to bring you my egg dough pizza crust, using just four simple ingredients that holds up well enough to let you eat it like, well, pizza!!
-8-9″ pie pan (3)
-5 large eggs
-1 scoop of unflavored whey protein powder (26 grams)
-1 1/2 tbsp almond flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 for a normal crust. 375 will give you a crispier crust, but lower heat by 25F for dark pans. Grease pans thoroughly.
2. Crack the egg whites into a bowl and set the yolks off on the side.
3. Using a hand mixer, mix the whites until they are light and fluffy, the consistency of whipped cream, with soft peaks.
4. Mix the egg yolks with the protein powder, almond flour, and salt. Stir to combine.
5. When that’s mixed together, add it to your egg whites and stir until incorporated.
6. Divide the mixture evenly among the three pie pans and spread to cover the bottom of the pan evenly (around 1/2″ thick). Make sure that there are no holes or extremely thin spots, as these will become dry and extremely brittle.
7. Let cook for 10-15 minutes, until the egg mixture is no longer rising and the surface appears shiny. Take the dough out at this point and let it cool for 1-2 minutes.
8. Using a thin spatula, gently loosen the crust from the pan, scraping around the sides first, then underneath. Be careful not to tear the crust!
9. Add any toppings you may want, then put it back in the oven for 7-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Depending on your oven settings and choice of toppings, it may take a little more or less time.
10. Take it out and let it cool for 2-3 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!
Nutrition information for 1 crust is listed below. This recipe makes 3.